Benefits of the Future Directors program include:
• Monthly meetings with industry experts
• Understanding key aspects of working in the studio system
• Identify allies you plan to contact outside of the program
Please keep an eye out for other initiatives coming later this year!
Note that Blackmagic Collective members who apply for any Initiatives will be considered first and you must be a member if selected. Membership is free. Click below to join!
HOW TO APPLY
Blackmagic Collective is committed to representation and inclusivity, and, as there is no shortage of talented writers and directors of all backgrounds, selections will be made based on the qualifications outlined in this application.
Note: you will be asked to submit two completed films (only full narrative shorts and features accepted).
2. ETIQUETTE – Respect your fellow selectees, BMC staff, and all guests of the initiative by being on time, being prepared, staying on topic with questions and shares, and participating in (but not dominating) sessions. We will review basic Zoom and meeting etiquette early on as well.
3. MENTORS & SPEAKERS – all selectees are responsible for the success of this initiative. Each person is expected to help locate potential mentors and speakers, and make contact with them on behalf of the program. BMC staff will also be making connections for you, but this is not a program you merely attend – the opportunity is what you make it.
3. AMBASSADORSHIP – If selected, you should want to share this with the world! Be an ambassador for yourself and the initiative by regularly sharing posts through social media, and shout it from the rooftops.
4. 1ST MEETING- During the beginning of Feb (date tbd), you MUST attend the first “Meet and greet”. During this meeting, you will meet other selectees, hear from the BMC staff, learn more about the goals of the initiative, and assemble your profiles that will be shared with upcoming guests and mentors. It is a good idea to get started on those now! (see #5 below)
5. PEER REVIEW – Though your profiles and branding may change due to the fluid nature of the initiative with experts coming in, you will also be partnered with other selectees for peer review and mentorship during the 1st meeting. These reviews will help prepare you for incoming speakers and expert reviews, and will consider the following:
- Personal brand and qualifying statement + bio
- Reel and short samples
- Pitch – your personal pitch
OPTIONAL: any directing project in development, website or other visual materials (i.e. pitch deck), or your BEST writing sample (*this is only applicable if you are a writer/director and expect to direct the sample you have)
6. END GOALS – By the end of the initiative, we want you to be on track to being hired and directing feature films! You should have found or written a feature you want to direct next (and be working on development materials, packaging, etc), and have identified allies you plan to contact outside of the initiative. This program is meant to help you develop a road map, but you have to take action to get yourself there.
7. PROTOCOL REGARDING GUESTS/MENTORS – Selectees may not contact guests/mentors without their express permission. BMC will act as a liaison to all guests in terms of contacting them on your behalf. Should they consent to release contact information to initiative participants directly, we will forward that information to you. All information released is for you only and is not to be shared with anyone outside the initiative. Your actions are a reflection of this program and of BMC as a whole so please act professionally in any correspondence. Under no circumstances will you ask to shadow, or ask for work of any kind from the contacts introduced to you by BMC. The initiative is designed to help you build and nurture relationships. If you have any concerns or questions, please ask!